Monday, August 27, 2007

Musings

My toes are sun tanned!! For two months I've been wearing open-toed sandals and now my toes are perpetually dirty-looking and my instep is noticeably still white because of the straps that protect the rest of my foot from the sun.
Buses and feet are the main means of transportation, especially for those of us who are prohibited from driving. There are few cars in this country and even fewer roads. The country is connected by four highways and a few dozen or so dirt roads. The speedlimit on the highways is 60mph and with so few cars and virtually no intersections to contend with, I think that makes sense. The scenery along the highway that I travel most often is spectacular - mountains, valley, plantations. Most of the local citizens travel by bus for village-to-village or town travel and by bike for in-village travelling. Most villages are located on or just a few miles off a highway. So walking is also a common form of getting about.
Fashion here is very Americanized. I've seen more NBA shirts that I typically saw in Virginia. In one Saturday, I counted 9 Lakers, 7 Suns, 7 Bulls, 5 Rockets, and 1 Spurs!!

4 comments:

greenacresfarm1 said...

hi mom! Great Blog

Can I send the link to everyone?

Mark M said...

Bertie, so glad to hear from you, and that you weathered the storms! Do you have a land address?

Ellen B. Daley said...

Hi Bertie! You have left quite a void, esp. filling the spaces at the fairs in the LWC booths. We'll save some cabin time for you at your return. Ellie

Anonymous said...

Hi Bertie! What a great adventure I can't wait to read more! How are the butterflies and birds? What's the food like there? That's so funny about all the NBA t-shirts! We miss your smiling face around here! Nicole