Sunday, April 6, 2008

During spring break (March 15- 30) I spent one day looking for the scarlet macaw. A group of us drove (in a car!!) from Hopkins Village to Red Bank Village, which is about 15 miles or one hour away. Red Bank is on the edge of the jungle and about 30 very bumpy minutes off the main highway. The dirt road appears to wash out frequently. But wait!! I want to tell you about the birds in Belize, not the roads. (Nonetheless I can’t get it out of my mind the state of the roads in Belize!)

From the staging point in Red Bank we hiked into the jungle for about 2 or 3 miles. These paths are considerably steeper and narrower than those in Cockscomb, but still they are perfectly maneuverable. On our way into the designated macaw-sighting spot, we met a couple of birders who had just seen a pair of the macaws playing in the trees along a river bank. We continued until we came to a beautiful opening in the jungle where the river cut a deep curve in its course and deposited a wealth of colorful rocks. The mighty riparian trees seemed to attract a community of butterflies, birds and dragon flies. The fish were plentiful, too. But alas, we didn’t see any scarlet macaws! We will go back, though. The beauty of the area is captivating.

It’s perhaps obvious to my readers that – for me – living in Belize means living closer to nature. Parrots populate the cashew and palm trees near my house. When I say near my house, I’m talking about right outside my door. I’m on the flight pattern from one of their favorite trees to the next. And I can set my clocks by the bird calls in the morning. Unlike the birding that I’m accustomed to in Virginia, birding here does not require a special event. There are, of course, birders who plan events and go in groups to specific areas to see specific bird species. But in general, birds – and a variety of species – hang out all over Belize, and are frequently observable.

Each of my two trips to Cockscomb Jaguar Preserve has yielded toucan entertainment. These colorful clowns love to play high up in the tall trees. They also will gladly pose long enough to be included in a photo. If you’re looking for good photo opportunities, I would suggest you won’t go wrong anywhere you end up in Belize. Even Belize City is known for its bird population.

No comments: