Saturday, February 2, 2008

Good Diving Spots

This blog entry is especially for Sam and all my SCUBA diving friends. Belize, having the second largest barrier reef in the world, is ideal for underwater observations. In my unscientific study I found that most tourists go to San Pedro, a small town on the Ambergris Caye, for diving or snorkeling. I haven’t been there yet, but I’ve heard great things about the island; it’s not far off shore from Belize City in the north central part of the country. If you google on San Pedro Belize, you’re sure to get lots of information about places to stay – in all price ranges – as well as guided tours to the many good diving locations. There are also diving schools in San Pedro where you can get certified to dive.

Another diving venue in Belize just happens to be in southern Belize, very close to my little village. Hamanasi , which means almond tree in Garifuna, is a full-service resort that caters to divers and explorers who also happen to want comfort. In addition to guided diving tours, the resort also offers tours to the Mayan ruins, the jungle and even to local artisans in nearby Hopkins village. And their vans will pick you up at the airport when you arrive. You won’t have the same atmosphere at Hamanasi as in San Pedro. For one thing San Pedro is a lively town that caters – and has catered for years – to divers, while Hamanasi is a resort. True, there are four other small resorts lined up along the seaside (Jaguar Reef Lodge, Belizean Dreams, Parrot Cove, and Beaches and Dreams), but the nearby village does not have the restaurants, bars or nightlife that San Pedro has.

February, March and April seem to be the prime months for visiting in Belize. These are the driest months, which doesn’t mean you won’t see rain because you probably will. Little – and sometimes big – rain showers are so typical here. When I first arrived I took my umbrella everywhere – partly to provide a little shade and partly to protect me from unexpected showers. But now as I ride my bike in the village I seldom carry an umbrella. Of course I’ve been soaked more than once. But so far, I’ve always dried out!! And besides, what do you care! You’re coming to Belize to get wet, right!

1 comment:

Alli said...

Hi Bertie!

I just found your blog via Ginnie and Anthony's. It looks as though you have friends that will be visiting. Please let me know and I can help set up diving for them on this end. I have lots of friends in the industry. I hope you come with them or make a trip up soon.

Take care,
Alli